2/20/2012

Lake Mungo


     Nudity:  Non-existent
  Gore:  Non-existent
Body count:  One

Review after the jump.





I really wasn't into the idea of starting this blog off with a new horror movie, but the three horror flicks I've most recently watched were all recent movies.  So, here we go.

Lake Mungo is a different take on the traditional ghost story, which is pretty cool.  A teenage girl drowns in a local lake and mysterious events begin happening around her home and it's small community.  I can't really go into more plot details without giving anything away, but I can say that it's not the run-of-the-mill ghost story that I expected from the start.

The way they present this film is pretty cool - almost as if watching a real documentary.  Before this puts you off, I don't mean it in the found-footage shaky cam documentary style; I mean in the style of something you may see on The Investigation Discovery channel or something.  Lots of accounts with family members and friends, along with photographs and home footage.  Definitely tastefully done.

However, it left me wanting more and also had me scratching my head at some points.  There was a subplot with a neighbor that I thought was going to be more in-depth and I feel like they kind of screwed up not doing more with it.  There was also somewhat of a plot-hole with the brother, which I can't go into without spoiling a part of the movie.

Overall, I'd give this another watch.  Highly recommended for fans of the reality/found-footage/documentary horror genre.  However, it will be very hit-or-miss amongst other horror fans.

I give it a 6 out of 10 skulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment